Welcome to Harris Hill Soaring! Here's your quick start guide to all things electronic

  • From: Tom Berry <tberry0916@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: reid@xxxxxxxxxxx, caldwell@xxxxxxxxxxx, smith48@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:13:18 -0400

Welcome to Harris Hill as a new member! I'm Tom Berry, our duty scheduler, webmaster and Facebook page admin, among other electronic stuff at HHSC. Here's quick guide to get you started at HHSC:

1.  We use an electronic scheduling system for duty.

You can learn how to use the system in under 5 minutes by watching this video I made: http://youtu.be/RrQRetcap2Y Most important use of the electronic system (called ShiftPlanning) is to REQUEST VACATION so you aren't scheduled when you aren't available. Second most important thing is so you can request to be scheduled on a day or time that is convenient for you. Some people care about this, others are perfectly happy with a random schedule as long as it doesn't fall on a day they are away. I've added your emails to the system and you should be receiving cryptic updates that say things like "Management has assigned you..." or something similar. If you aren't receiving them, check your spam filter.

Your userid is the first letter of your first name and your last name. For example, jsmith. You passwords are ALL set to 1710ft (the height above sea level for Harris Hill). Log in and change the password to something you can remember. You can also use your Facebook I.D. if you have one, to log in. Instructions are here: You log into ShiftPlanning here: http://harrishillsoaringcorporation.shiftplanning.com/ If you forget the link, find Harris Hill web page using a Google search (www.harrishillsoaring.org), scroll to the BOTTOM of the page and click "Duty Schedule" and look on that page for the ShiftPlanning login. You already know about duty stuff, but here it is on the HHSC web page, please take a look at it: http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/www/Duty.html You may on very rare occasions receive an email from the folks at ShiftPlanning. It has happened once in two years to announce an anniversary for them. They provide this tool to us at NO CHARGE because we are a non-profit group, so I view this as a reasonable tradeoff. One of our members did not and asked to be removed from ShiftPlanning. If that is your view, please let me know and as always, read the terms of service if those things matter to you.
Any questions or issues, email me either at this address or
dutysched@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. We coordinate and communicate using an email list called the freelist. Address is hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxx but you have to be added to the list by request. That means you are all, by default, NOT on that list right now. Why aren't you on the list? Because it is publicly searchable. That is, when you post something on the list, anyone, including a Google search robot, can see what you posted in the archive. Some people don't like that. For example, if you post your phone number on the list thinking you are only sending an email to all of our members, that is what will happen -until the archive is posted and a Google search will reveal it. Some people don't like that.
How do you get on the list?  Reply by email and let me know to add you.
Want to see what kind of stuff is on the list? Here's the archive so far for June 2012: //www.freelists.org/archive/hhsc1/07-2012 You'll see that a call for "Who wants training this Wednesday night" is sent out and confirmation is published so everyone knows if training is on or not for that evening.

3.  We have a web site:  http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/www/Home.html
It's mainly a shingle for the public, but there's some stuff in there for HHSC pilots. There is also a members only section that uses the old style web site we've had for years. To access the members only portion of the site, go to the home page, scroll to the bottom and select "members only" from the link. Username is: soarhhsc, Password is: 1710ft The members only has stuff in it like our operations manual, glider manuals and so forth

4.  We have a webcam and weather page.
You can find it on the home page of our web site, or for more weather info, go to the "Webcam" link on our home page. Or go directly to the site at: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=14903&sp=KNYELMIR5 . Be sure to check out the weather history for the day by clicking on the title of the station or going here: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYELMIR5 . The station reports every few minutes or so and the history show you the trends - winds are especially important. If it is over 10 knots and not pretty much out of the North, training is not impossible, but iffy.

5.  We have a Facebook page.
If you have a Facebook I.D., Like us on Facebook to get updates from our page. It is mainly for marketing purposes and many of our members do not have a Facebook ID, but if you do, go here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harris-Hill-Soaring-Corporation/332124773470487

Welcome! HHSC is a great place to learn how to soar - we're looking forward to having you and if you have ANY questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

-Tom Berry