[HFbeacons] Re: Spots from down-under

  • From: <dpelz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:21:45 +1000

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is indeed the use the the SDR in
conjunction with the skimmer that creates in me a new level of awareness of
propagation behaviour.
It is indeed the continuous beacon monitoring over the day (and sometimes also
during night) that makes a big difference. The skimmer really never misses
anything even if it lasts just a few seconds. On the basis of the skimmer's
data output I often tune my active ham work to times of enhanced propagation.
Unexpected propagation is thereby also exploited for the  hobby.

Given the low expenditure (< $350), I would encourage every beacon observer to
consider setting up a skimmer using the FCDP+ SDR. I have provided info on that
on my google site

https://sites.google.com/site/vk3ffb/cw-skimmer-and-rbn/rbn-cw-skimmer-operation

vy 73 de Dieter, VK3FFB