[HFbeacons] BEACONS: Using Spectran 2 and Argo for Beacon Logging

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:37:21 -0400

Hi, Keith here in Amherst, NY

II have been running either Argo or Spectran while logging, the "hear" better than I do and allow me at times to actually pick the calls out of the 'ESP' level signals. One really important thing they do for me is to give me a visual frequency reference.

When looking on the waterfall display on either, there's a frequency scale that is marked out in 10 hz divisions. On Spectran the peak signal on the spectrum scope also pops up a message saying:

'Peak at xxxx.xx Hz (-xx.x dB)'

This gives me the frequency and the relative signal strength, by comparing it to the baseline signal on the scope I can determine the signal to noise ration.

How's this help with the frequency? Well, on the Yaesu the displayed frequency in the CW mode is accurate with a 600 hz beat note. If my signal is at 600 hz, I just read off the frequency display on the rig. If the displayed frequency on Argo or Spectran is not 600 hz I just take the mathematical difference and adjust the display reading on the log sheet.

Same thing with the Kenwood TS-680 except my beat frequency is 800 hz.. Now, the frequency determination can also be done in the USB mode, in fact it's easier. Set the digital dial to the closest even 1 KHz spot below the signal. Read the frequency off the progarm and add it to the dial. Done.

For the 28.200 beacons I set the dial on 28.19900, the received beat tone will be 1000 hz +/- a bit. Easy.

Both programs a re free downloads, a Google search will find them and if you can't locate them I can send them as an attachment on request.

73, Keith, WB2VUO
Amherst, NY: Grid FN02ox