[HEALTH.MIL] Don't Forget to Update DEERS & Transition from TRICARE to Your New Health Plan w\CHCBP

  • From: HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <TFL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 11:47:46 -0500

Don't Forget to Update DEERS 


The lives of service members and their families are full of transitions. Whether
it's permanent change of station moves, retiring, going from Reserve status to
active duty or something else, the one constant is change. The good news is that
your TRICARE coverage can stick with you through these life changes, but you do
have to make sure that your records in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility
Reporting System (DEERS) are up to date with your latest life events.

This means you should keep all your personal information - address, duty status,
phone numbers, and email addresses - up to date. It's important to review DEERS
as soon as possible whenever you move or experience one of the following life

*             * Activation

*             * Deactivation

*             * Separation or retirement

*             * Becoming Medicare eligible

Changing your contact information in DEERS is easy and can be done online at
milConnect ( <http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect> www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect),
by fax or mail, or in person at the nearest uniformed services identification
(ID) card office. One thing you can't update yourself in DEERS is your duty
status - only your Service can make those updates. Whenever you have a change in
your duty status, check DEERS to make sure it's accurate. You can find your
nearest ID card offices online with the RAPIDS Site Locator at
<http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/> www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/.

Other life events that can affect your TRICARE eligibility and require you to
update DEERS include:

*             * Marriage or divorce

*             * Birth or adoption of a child

*             * Change in a student's full-time enrollment status 

Many DEERS updates require supporting documentation, including:  marriage,
birth, or death certificates, Medicare cards and Social Security Administration
notification letters and orders or DD Forms214/discharge orders. A list of
required documentation for various types of updates is available at
<http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/> www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/. Make sure to review the
list and bring the appropriate documents with you, or you may not be able to
make the updates you need.

For more information on how to update DEERS information, go to
<http://www.tricare.mil/DEERS> www.tricare.mil/DEERS.


SOURCE:  TRICARE News Release @





Transition from TRICARE to Your New Health Plan with the Continued Health Care
Benefit Program 



As you transition from the military, you must continue to have health care
coverage under the Affordable Care Act. You may find other coverage options by
going through a marketplace, have employer sponsored coverage, or get coverage
from a family member. You may also find subsidized coverage options through
federal or state programs based on income, family size, or state of residence.
TRICARE offers the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) to help ensure
you can maintain health care coverage. CHCBP is a premium-based health care
program that acts as a bridge for beneficiaries transitioning from military
health benefits to a new civilian health plan. 

Former active duty service members and their families are eligible for 18 months
of CHCBP. Certain unremarried former spouses, unmarried and emancipated children
are eligible for coverage for 36 months. CHCBP is modeled after Consolidated
Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) coverage, which gives civilian workers
and their families access to continued health benefits under their group health
plan for a limited time. 

CHCBP covers the same health care services as other TRICARE programs and uses
existing TRICARE-authorized providers. It is structured like TRICARE Standard,
with reduced cost-shares for using TRICARE network providers. 

Beneficiaries must purchase and enroll in CHCBP within 60 days of losing TRICARE
eligibility. If you were previously enrolled in a premium-based plan, like
TRICARE Reserve Select or TRICARE Young Adult, your coverage must be current to
qualify for CHCBP when that coverage ends. 

To enroll, eligible beneficiaries must submit several required documents to the
CHCBP contractor, currently Humana Military: 

*             * CHCBP Application (DD Form 2837)

*             * Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form

*             * Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form

You must submit these documents with the premium payment for the first quarter
of coverage. You can find the most recent premium payments at
www.tricare.mil/CHCBP <http://www.tricare.mil/CHCBP> . 

For more information about CHCBP, download the Continued Health Care Benefit
Program Brochure
_Brochure.pdf> , Continued Health Care Benefit Program Fact Sheet
df>  or call 1-800-403-3950.


SOURCE:  TRICARE News Release at http://www.tricare.mil/CHCBP100714





NOTICE:  Links to archived copies of this and other mailing list messages,
retiree-related events list, subscribe\unsubscribe instructions and other useful
information for active duty, retirees and veterans, and their families, are
available on the LINKS FOR MIL\RET\VETS website at www.hostmtb.org


This message is being sent to the HEALTH.MIL and TFL mailing lists.  If you
prefer not to receive future HEALTH.MIL and\or TFL mailing list messages, please
go to www.hostmtb.org <http://www.hostmtb.org>  to unsubscribe automatically or
contact the Mailing List Mgr
<mailto:Milton.Bell126@xxxxxxxxx?subject=Mailin%20List%20Unsubscribe> .


Other related posts:

  • » [HEALTH.MIL] Don't Forget to Update DEERS & Transition from TRICARE to Your New Health Plan w\CHCBP - HEALTH . MIL