[HUG] Re: Digi-Blads Beware!

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:07:55 -0700 (PDT)

Image quality is more than just number and depth of
pixels.

One of the things that has happened is that the
dominant source of images that we have grown up seeing
come from 35mm negatives.  The 35mm form factor
imposes a certain range of Depth of Field on our
images.  Photographers have learned to use this to
direct the viewers attention, and we have unwittingly
learned to expect it.  With a sufficiently small image
sensor, it is almost impossible to get something that
is not in sharp focus.  Many of the new digital point
and shoot cameras fall into this category.  If your
definition of a 'better picture' is sharper focus,
greater resolution, greater contrast and greater
colour saturation then you are probably going to be
happy with one of the new digital cameras.  If you
want to have the control to move an image from your
head to the paper, then you are going to need to have
a bigger set of tools available, including different
sizes of imagers.

FWIW, The cameras that I use are:
Digital point and shoot
Olympus PEN (1/2 frame 35mm)