[hashcash] Re: hashcash v1 questions

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:27:21 -0400

Kyle Hasselbacher wrote:

This discussion reminds me of an interest I took in zero-UI crypto a while
back.  I put my interest in some words here:

http://www.toehold.com/~kyle/k5/easy-hard-crypto.html

http://www.toehold.com/~kyle/k5/robotca.html

very interesting. We are thinking in similar paths. I like the idea of a robot CA but it does seem somewhat vulnerable to unsavory types. Although, I'm not sure it would matter. It would provide an interesting business opportunity as well running a network of trusted robot CA's. It could also help with the transition between keys after someone loses/destroys/zombies etc.

It's never totally transparent.  Alice has a working zero-UI crypto
system.  Alice's computer is lost, stolen, broken.  She gets a new one,
sets it up for email, but all her friends are still encrypting to a key she
no longer has.  How does she inform them?  How does she prove that she's
not Eve trying to take over Alice's account?  Can you do it without human
intervention?

you know, if that happens, you are well and truly screwed. what happens if your house keys and drivers license are stolen? Some bloke drives up with a moving van, a bunch of burly types in mover type clothes jump out, make it look like they are moving you out and drive away leaving you with absolutely nothing.

same problem, different space.

with the robots CA, you now have a possibility of registering that your key has been stolen and by proving something about identity, generating a new key and getting signed with the old one listed as revoked.

the protocol and user interface will need work but it's close.

Will we require that users taken an intelligence test before every email
they send?  Decode the twisted and cruel text!  Answer me these questions
three!  JUMP, user, JUMP!  Prove you're not a suture-headed mutant!

na, a very personal dna sample will do...

--- eric