[hashcash] Re: hashcash v1 questions

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:37:21 -0400

Hubert Chan wrote:

I've never tried ginger beer.  I know approximately two people who like
it.  I'll have to give it a try some time.

if you are in the states, try Stewarts brand. also, many natural food stores have good microbrewed ginger beers.

Like Kyle pointed out, you'll never be able to get a crypto system with no user interaction. I think it's a good idea to go for little user interaction (I get tired of typing in my 20+ character passphrase sometimes -- it would be nice to have the passphrase manager tied into the login manager). I'll agree that bad UI makes crypto less widespread than it should be (e.g. people emailing corporate secrets in plaintext). But I doubt that if we could make a crypto system with the absolute minimal user interaction, then people would start using it. Unless you could come up with some "killer feature". Like spam prevention. ;-)

well, any assistance in this effort would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep pushing for really easy to use user interfaces. :-)

I have the "bad habit" of sharing passphrases.  Yeah, it's weaker, but
I don't have to worry about remembering so many different secrets.

this is a great example of the collision between human factors and cryptography. a far better system would be a two factor ID system using something you plug-in and something you keep near. on the other hand, I also have a hard time remembering where I put my (physical) keys. I guess I'm just WATS (well and truly screwed)

---eric