[hashcash] Possibility of plugin for Mozilla/Thunderbird?

  • From: Tim Wesson <tim.wesson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:26:30 +0000 (UTC)

I've already emailed the Adam Back, but it occurs to me that maybe I should have
posted here instead.

It occurs to me that if there was a plugin to Mozilla and Thunderbird that would
interface with Hardcash, it could then be posted up upon
http://update.mozilla.org/ and http://www.mozdev.com/ which would generate a
good deal more interest in it.

If a plugin for Outlook were possible, so much the better!

The possibility of using Hardcash if you were caught in an anti-spam net would
frequently motivate a web-search, whereupon such a plugin, were it to exist
would be able to get you out of a pickle.  My own address is used as a fake
'from' address for spam, sometimes, as are a whole host of addresses hosted by
my ISP.  I have in the past sent work-related email that simply hasn't got
through, despite repeated sending.

Plugins being readily available leave open the possibility of bouncing all
non-Hardcashed mail with a message suggesting where one would be able to get
such plugins, although, for that to be reasonable, the rest of the Hardcash
system (not just plugin) would have to have a trivial install, at least under
Windows, and a simple install under other systems.

Until a simple install method were available, such a response would naturally be
unreasonable.  Once it were possible, a rapid cascade can be imagined.

Does anyone else think that this would be a good idea?  Are there any coders who
might feel like giving it a go?  I'd give it a go myself, but my programming
skills are very rusty...
--
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tim.wesson/>