[hashcash] Re: PR Problem?

  • From: jm@xxxxxxxxxx (Justin Mason)
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:34:32 +0000

Todd A. Jacobs writes:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 06:03:07PM -0800, Meredith L. Patterson wrote:
>
> > FWIW, this could use the Javascript version of hashcash and keep the
> > generation costs on the user's machine. I know basically nothing about
> > squirrelmail, but if it's all PHP it shouldn't be too hard to have the
> > generated pages include some Javascript.
>
> This would be an excellent way to do it, IMHO. As long as the plugin
> fails gracefully if the client doesn't have Javascript (e.g. sending the
> mail with no hashcash header instead of dying horribly) I think this
> would solve most objections to integrating it in outbound webmail.

btw, recent changes in Firefox may cause trouble for JS hashcash stamp
generation -- it now imposes a CPU-time limit on javascript execution, and
pops up a warning dialog if that is exceeded.  I think the recommended way
to avoid it is to use a setTimeout() timer instead of busy-looping.

--j. (occasional Greasemonkey hacker)