[hashcash] Re: Obtaining speed results for different CPUs (collision tests/sec)

  • From: "John Honan" <jhonan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:22:09 -0500 (CDT)

>> 1) I would like to run the timing test on a dos 486/25. Is there a
>> 16-bit version of hashcash.exe available (or one that will work on a
>> dos 486/25, running Win3.11 believe it or not...)  The v0.28 exe was
>> giving me the 'cannot run in DOS mode' error, no matter how I tried to
>> run it.
>
> Try installing Win32S.  A true 16-bit version of hashcash is
> impractical, because SHA1 is a 32-bit hash function.  It is probably
> possible to compile hashcash for a protected-mode environment like
> DOS4GW, but that is left as an exercise for the reader.

I didn't have much luck getting it to run on the 486/25 - Although I've
been having great fun with Knoppix and DamnSmallLinux the last few days!
:-)

I take on board what you said about SHA1 being a 32-bit function. But
compiling hashcash for a protected mode environment is proving beyond my
capabilities...

Does anyone have any 'collision tests per second' results for a 486? (I'm
not that fussy about the version of hashcash, I'm just trying to obtain
some 'hashcash -s' time estimates for a low-end machine)

Thanks,
John.