[hashcash] Re: Idea for alternative hashcash/antispam implementation.

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:18:18 +0100

However much we'd like it to be, hashcash by itself does not make an anti-spam scheme. Initially at least, the best places for it to work are as a false-positive mitigator (in conjunction with a content filter or DNSBL) and/or an introducer (in conjunction with a whitelist). I have in development a scheme which explicitly combines both of these approaches, and Eric has something broadly similar in CAMRAM.

half agreement. If you look at the camram site and go to the zombie logic/zombie calculator section, he quickly learn one thing (at lease it reinforced what I figured was true). By playing with stamp size and stamp usage patterns, Hashcash (or something like it) will actually reduce the amount of spam on the net.

Well, one hopes that will be an emergent effect. Certainly because content filters 'leak' on a statistical basis, the spammers' adaptation behaviour has been to increase volume, so we will know whether a deployment of hashcash has been particularly successful if the spammers adapt to *that* - and end up reducing their own volume.

Jonathan, if your scheme is any good, I will have no qualms about lifting it and giving proper attribution. We really need to focus on making this technology easily available to others and I believe the shortest path that is a devil Linux based CD-ROM.

Acknowledged. Right now my priority is to keep my finances vaguely above the waterline, however, so hashcash is second or third on the project list.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/