[hashcash] Re: Idea for alternative hashcash/antispam implementation.

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:30:16 -0400

Jonathan Morton wrote:

However much we'd like it to be, hashcash by itself does not make an anti-spam scheme. Initially at least, the best places for it to work are as a false-positive mitigator (in conjunction with a content filter or DNSBL) and/or an introducer (in conjunction with a whitelist). I have in development a scheme which explicitly combines both of these approaches, and Eric has something broadly similar in CAMRAM.

half agreement. If you look at the camram site and go to the zombie logic/zombie calculator section, he quickly learn one thing (at lease it reinforced what I figured was true). By playing with stamp size and stamp usage patterns, Hashcash (or something like it) will actually reduce the amount of spam on the net. why? In order to pass as much spam through stamp filters as what leaks through content filters today (i.e. roughly 10 percent), spammers would have to produce 1/10 the span they do today. The only way you can force that is by making stamps big enough which really isn't all that big. Play with the calculator and see how it turns out.

Yes, it's also a great false positive mitigated for as long as there is spam and not everyone generates a stamp, you will need a content filter for backwards compatibility.

and Jonathan, if your scheme is any good, I will have no qualms about lifting it and giving proper attribution. We really need to focus on making this technology easily available to others and I believe the shortest path that is a devil Linux based CD-ROM.

---eric

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.