[hashcash] Re: 300Mhz amd k6-2

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 02:00:54 +0100

It's actually almost amusing - of all the CPU architectures I've read the documentation on this week, only the Intel machines seem to be decoder-starved. Everything else is capable of saturating the integer and load-store units using ordinary instructions, sometimes several times over. And that includes the old 68040, another CISC design.

heh this discussion make me wish I still had my old kim-1 (1-mhz 6502) for a trial.

I've got three BBC Micros (2MHz 6502), an Acorn Electron (1MHz 6502), and a Sinclair Spectrum +3 (Z80, possibly 8MHz) right here. I don't think any of them will get very good performance in hashcash though. :)

I think I calculated that the BBC might get an 8-bit token in about 5 seconds - we're not all that far away from getting one in 5 *microseconds* these days (think of a dual 3GHz G5). Progress, hey?

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/