[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 25 August 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:52:48 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen to this news online:

MP3 audio stream:

 <http://www.handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3>

Get this podcast in iTunes:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

 <http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham> http://feeds.feedburner.com/handiham

  _____

Welcome to Handiham World!

Telling the story: Mike Runholt, KC0YFV, on ARRL website

Mike, KC0YFV, and Bill, N0CIC, take down a wire antenna following Radio Camp
at Courage North.

Photo: Mike, KC0YFV, left, and Bill, N0CIC, take down one of the wire
antennas following a memorable radio camp session at Courage North. This
radio camp was the last of a long run of week-long camp sessions at the
Courage North location. In 2010, the radio camp session moved to Camp
Courage, about 40 miles west of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Courage Center owns
both camps. The Handiham System headquarters is at Camp Courage.

Mike Runholt, KC0YFV, has written an excellent article about the Handiham
System and Radio Camp. It appears this week on the ARRL website. You can
reach Mike at his callsign at ARRL.net if you wish to comment on the story.

"The pontoon slowly motors around the lake. A group of hams gathers around
the radio. "CQ, CQ 80 meters this is W0EQO, KC0YFV at the mike, maritime
mobiling from Courage North in Lake George, Minnesota, over." So begins a
typical contact at the Handiham Radio Camp sponsored by the Courage Handiham
System, a program of the Courage Center. You have probably seen our
quarterly ad in QST and wondered what we do."

Read the entire story on the improved and newly-redesigned ARRL website:

 <http://www.arrl.org/enabling-ham-radio-s-disabled>
http://www.arrl.org/enabling-ham-radio-s-disabled

Our thanks to Mike for telling the Handiham story so well. Good work, Mike!
And, hey, Bill, you look good in that photo, too.  Are you the wire tangler
or the wire untangler?

73,

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager  <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
wa0tda@xxxxxxxx

  _____

EchoLink for Android arrives

cartoon robot with cell phone

Here's more good news for the ham operator on the go:  Another popular smart
phone operating system can now run the popular EchoLink application. Already
available for the Apple iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad, this new application
will bring another potentially large group of users into the fold. The
EchoLink website states:

"EchoLink for Android is an edition of the EchoLink software that runs on an
Android <http://www.android.com/>  smart phone or tablet, such as a Motorola
Droid <http://www.droiddoes.com/>  or an HTC Evo
<http://www.htc.com/us/products/evo-sprint?view=1-1&sort=0> . If you own one
of these devices and are a validated EchoLink user, you can access the
EchoLink system from nearly anywhere where Wi-Fi or 3G networking is
available. EchoLink for Android is available free of charge from the Android
Market."

For those potential users who wonder if the Droid app will have features
similar to the Windows version, "The Android edition focuses on the basic
features of EchoLink, such as managing the Station List, connecting and
disconnecting, and transmitting and receiving voice and text. Unlike the
Windows edition, you can be connected to only one node at a time, and there
is no Sysop mode. The user interface has been re-designed to function
smoothly on the smaller screen of a smart phone, and to take advantage of
some of its built-in hardware features."

Droid users can get the free app by visiting the EchoLink website and
scanning a QR code image on the page, or else they can tap the "Market" icon
on their phones and searching for EchoLink.

Read more on the EchoLink website, including an explanation of EchoLink
connectivity by relay, an easy way to use one of these devices to avoid the
typical hassles of firewalls:  <http://www.echolink.org/faq_android.htm>
http://www.echolink.org/faq_android.htm

Droid and iPhone/iPod users: Check into our informal Handiham net on
conference *HANDIHAM*, node number 494492, 11:00 a.m. USA Central Time,
Monday through Saturday.

  _____

Feedback

cartoon dog barking at postal carrier

*       John, KC0UHY, discovered a typo in the W0ZSW station setup. The ip
address should be 69.46.197.93. If anyone has had difficulty with setup,
that is probably the reason.  The correct ip was shown in the graphic, but
the text was incorrect.
*       Howard, KE7KNN, alerted me to the story about the Droid EchoLink app
after he heard about it on the Handiham net:

It sounds like some great changes for Droid and iPhone. Now ham radio by
cell phone means that the hobby is moving forward into the 21st century. I
do not think it will replace the handheld radio or other rigs but it might
be good for traveling. Things are moving fast in the hobby now, because
anyone can start out with a small amount of money. I hope that the doors are
open and we welcome a lot of new hams. My best to all. Howard, KE7KNN

  _____

Mars Hoax is back this month

Thinking back to Radio Camp sessions at Courage North in the past, I do
recall the dark sky at Courage North, deep in the pines of Minnesota's far
north lake country, where a very bright Mars was an awe-inspiring sight. Far
from city light pollution, Courage North pretty much always serves up
excellent stargazing opportunities. Anyway, this 2003 Mars appearance
inspired a recurring "Mars hoax" every year about this time.

Now NASA Science News for August 25, 2010 is reporting that the Mars Hoax is
back and it's trickier than ever. Read today's story from Science@NASA to
find out what's really going to happen in the night sky on August 27th.
There is also an option to listen to the story in streaming audio:

 <http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/25aug_marshoax/>
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/25aug_marshoax/

  _____

Remote base progress report

Kenwood TS-570

We have made excellent progress on W0ZSW, the second HF remote base station
this week. After a series of internet failures at Camp Courage, a defective
DSL modem has been replaced and things are looking good. Today Lyle Koehler,
K0LR, is adding the EchoLink connection to the station, and we will be able
to include it in the beta testing. The issue of voice readout not working
for our blind users is still bugging us, and we think it will be necessary
to replace the radio, a TS-570, with a TS-480. We will move forward on this
soon.

Would you like to try the station right now?

If you would like to connect to the station via EchoLink to listen to the
radio, you can search for W0ZSW-L, node 524906, and connect. Entering a
frequency and pressing the enter key will allow you to change the radio's
receive frequency from the EchoLink text box. Enter U, L, or A for Upper
sideband, Lower sideband, or AM, respectively. One thing to remember is that
EchoLink control only works on receive, not transmit, and it is only
available if there is no control operator logged in to the W4MQ remote base
software.

  _____

This week @ HQ

*       The e-letter will be on vacation until September 15, when it will
return tanned, rested, and ready for another exciting ham radio season. The
Friday audio lectures are accompanying the weekly e-letter on vacation, so
that they can compare notes.
*       Tonight is net night!  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central Daylight time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North American Daylight Time. In the
winter, the GMT schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any Internet-enabled
computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on
145.450.  If there is no designated Net Control, there will be a simple
roundtable net.

EchoLink nodes:

KA0PQW-R, node 267582
N0BVE-R, node 89680
HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

Other ways to connect:

IRLP node 9008 (Vancouver BC reflector)
WIRES system number 1427

*       Your Handiham World Summer 2010 newsletter is now available in two
versions. Download the newsletter and enjoy the articles online or print
your own exact copy. Feel free to share the content on your local radio
club's website, too. Just give us the credit for the article and include our
contact information. We always appreciate it when you help us share the word
about ham radio and the Courage Center Handiham System.

The link to the PDF version is here:
<http://handiham.org/local/downloads/hhw_summer_2010.pdf>
http://handiham.org/local/downloads/hhw_summer_2010.pdf

If you are blind, we also have a Daisy version that includes spoken word
audio in a special format that can be navigated by users of Library of
Congress players or other Daisy book players. You can find the links you
need here: <http://www.handiham.org/node/897>
http://www.handiham.org/node/897

One thing that is missing from both the PDF and DAISY versions of the
Handiham World is the giving envelope. If you are on our mailing list, you
should receive a printed copy of the newsletter in the mail. Please look for
the giving envelope in the newsletter and help us out a bit if you can. We
really appreciate it. If you are not on our mailing list and would like a
free copy, please drop us a line at: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of call toll-free: 1-866-426-3442

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or
us.

  _____

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

Center's secure website.

.         Step one: Follow this link to the secure Courage Center Website:
https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294
<https://couragecenter.us/SSLPage.aspx?pid=294&srcid=344> &srcid=344

.         Step two: Fill out the form, being careful to use the pull-down

.         Step three: Submit the form to complete your donation. If the gift
is a tribute to someone, don't forget to fill out the tribute information.
This would be a gift in memory of a silent key, for example.

  _____

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA, Handiham Manager
patt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Handiham Membership Dues

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal
date is the anniversary of your last renewal, so your membership extends for
one year.

.         Join for three years at $30.

.         Lifetime membership is $100.

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for
the year.

.         Donate an extra amount of your choice to help support our
activities.

.         Discontinue your membership.

Your support is critical! Please help.

to Handihams, the answer is yes! Please call Walt Seibert at 763-520-0532 or
email him at walt.seibert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hams on the air.

ham radio news.

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org