[handiham-world] Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 18 August 2010

  • From: "Patrick Tice" <wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <handiham-world@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:29:02 -0500

System. Our contact information is at the end, or simply email
handiham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for changes in subscriptions or to comment.

You can listen online or subscribe to <unsaved://Untitled_1.htm#listen>  our
podcast version. The instructions are near the end of this edition.

Second remote base station goes into beta testing phase

screenshot of w4mq software interface showing w0zsw

With the addition of the W0ZSW remote base at Handiham headquarters, members
now have a choice of two remote base stations. Users who have signed up for
access to the "Handiham Remote Base" (W0EQO) will be added automatically to
the list for W0ZSW, with the same password. The remote base concept has been
gaining in popularity as more of us want to be able to use an HF radio
without the need to drag along a lot of extra gear while traveling.  Some
users live in condos or antenna-restricted areas and simply want to expand
their operating horizons beyond VHF and UHF repeaters. The remote base
stations allow users to operate real HF radios connected to real antennas,
and make friends far and wide on the HF bands.

The W0EQO station at Courage North, a Kenwood TS-480SAT equipped with the
VG-S1 voice module, is preferred by our members who are blind. We have a
Kenwood TS-570S set up at this time in the W0ZSW station at Camp Courage.
The two stations are quite a distance apart, hundreds of miles, so they can
be used at the same time with no chance of interference between the two.
W0EQO is in the tall pines of northern Minnesota, near the headwaters of the
Mississippi river. The location is a very quiet one, with little
interference. We have reports of users making very successful DX contacts.
The station operates on 80 through 10 meters. This is due to the
capabilities of the current antenna, a G5RV, which will not tune on 160 or 6
meters.  The W0ZSW remote base station has a 300 foot "W0OXB Special"
antenna, up an average of 45 feet. This antenna covers 160 through 6 meters,
including the WARC bands. The W0EQO station will hopefully get an upgraded
antenna system later this year, bringing it more in line with the W0ZSW
station for band coverage and performance.  Camp Courage is about 40 miles
west of Minneapolis.

The DSL internet service has given us a great deal of trouble at Camp
Courage, so the W0ZSW station has been off line as much or more than it has
been on line. We hope to remedy this situation soon, but I have been tied up
in meetings and office work and have been running behind with this project.
One other issue with the W0ZSW remote is that we do not have the frequency
speech readout working. The TS-570 does have the VS-3 voice module, but
apparently the software does not support the voice readout. It may be
necessary to replace the radio with another model for which the speech
output will work if we cannot find a solution for the TS-570.

Lyle, K0LR, and Eliot, KE0N, have been working with me on this project and
we are anxious to get it out of beta testing and on the air for our users.
Please keep watching the Handiham website and this newsletter for the latest
updates.

Handiham Manager  <mailto:wa0tda@xxxxxxxx>

Feedback

cartoon dog barking at postal carrier

Howard, KE7KNN, writes:

Hello, all!

It is the time of summer when everyone is getting ready to go back to school
or work. It would be great if Handiham members and others out there in radio
land could check into a net or two. It would be good to hear from you, and
at the same time you would be giving the net control a boost. Remember that
you are keeping your operating skills sharp and helping the net control
stations keep their skills up at the same time. So think about the time you
can check in. Make it a point to get on the air, because these nets are for
you - and we want to hear from you.  Have fun and add your name to the list!

73,

Howard, KE7KNN

Regarding last week's mention of the Amazon Kindle and its built in text to
speech capability, Tom, WA6IVG, writes:

Kindle has a recent version that has accessible menus, etc. Don't know
anybody here who has tried one yet.

Ken, KB3LLA, writes as a follow up about the book "The Victorian Internet"
that he recommended last week:

I read it a few years ago. It's a fast read. Sorry to tell Avery, K0HLA:
It's written in American Morse.

And in case you missed it:

Ken, KB3LLA, wrote to recommend a good book available from your local NLS
Library:

Standage, Tom. "The Victorian Internet" is the remarkable story of the
telegraph and the nineteenth century's on-line pioneers. It is Book Number
RC047958, a history of the invention of the telegraph, which was the
technological marvel of its time. It describes how the machine changed the
way the world operated, including its direct effects on warfare, espionage,
and love affairs. It also provides anecdotes about the inventors, hackers,
and cheats.

Ken also recommends an article he found on Wikipedia about the sound-powered
telephone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_powered_telephone

  _____

St. Columbkille Summer Campers Explore Amateur Radio as Part of Sci-Tech
Curriculum

CHESTNUT HILL, MA (August 2010) - Students attending this year's St.
Columbkille Summer Camp at Boston College participated in a unique
demonstration of an old technology that is in many ways still new today -
amateur radio.

Phil Temples of BC's Computer Science Department and Eric Falkof of
Hewlett-Packard Company explained some basic principles of radio theory to
the 5th, 6th and 7th graders in attendance. The presentation was one of
several activities comprising the Science & Technology curriculum at the
camp, which for seven years has brought 120 local residents ages 3 to 14 to
campus for classroom learning, informational tours and other activities
blending cultural enrichment and summer fun.

Read the entire story on the Boston College website:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/pubaf/news/hamradio.html

  _____

How to write e-mail that actually gets an answer

 <http://www.handiham.org/sites/default/files/images/alligator_0.jpg> Pat is
grabbed by a giant alligator. "The alligator ate my e-mail!"

By Patrick Tice, WA0TDA

Sure, I've made plenty of e-mail mistakes over the years. I might as well
admit to that right now, because I don't want to sound "holier-than-thou"
when I talk about other people's e-mail transgressions.

Want to read more?  Here's the link:

A reminder: International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend this coming weekend.

Split Rock lighthouse, North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota

How about spicing up the dog days of August with an operating event? Cool
off with the International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend! Conducted under the
sponsorship of the AYR, Scotland Amateur Radio Group, this year's event
takes place on the third full weekend of August, the 21st & 22nd. You can
find that link and other information about the event on the ILLW website:

http://illw.net/

*       Radio Camp will be in August next year, according to current plans.
I will post dates when they are available.
*       Tonight is net night!  The Wednesday evening EchoLink net is at
19:30 United States Central Daylight time, which translates to +5 hours, or
00:30 GMT Thursday morning during North American Daylight Time. In the
winter, the GMT schedule is +6 hours. Connect from any Internet-enabled
computer in the world, and come out on Twin Cities repeater N0BVE on
145.450.  If there is no designated Net Control, there will be a simple
roundtable net.

EchoLink nodes:

HANDIHAM conference server Node 494492 (Our preferred high-capacity node.)

*       Your Handiham World Summer 2010 newsletter is now available in two
versions. Download the newsletter and enjoy the articles online or print
your own exact copy. Feel free to share the content on your local radio
club's website, too. Just give us the credit for the article and include our
contact information. We always appreciate it when you help us share the word
about ham radio and the Courage Center Handiham System.

The link to the PDF version is here:
<http://handiham.org/local/downloads/hhw_summer_2010.pdf>
http://handiham.org/local/downloads/hhw_summer_2010.pdf

If you are blind, we also have a Daisy version that includes spoken word
audio in a special format that can be navigated by users of Library of
Congress players or other Daisy book players. You can find the links you
need here: <http://www.handiham.org/node/897>
http://www.handiham.org/node/897

One thing that is missing from both the PDF and DAISY versions of the
Handiham World is the giving envelope. If you are on our mailing list, you
should receive a printed copy of the newsletter in the mail. Please look for
the giving envelope in the newsletter and help us out a bit if you can. We
really appreciate it. If you are not on our mailing list and would like a
free copy, please drop us a line at: <mailto:hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of call toll-free: 1-866-426-3442

*       Stay in touch! Be sure to send Nancy your change of address, phone
touch with you. You may either email Nancy at hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or

Supporting Handihams

graphic showing figure using wheelchair holding hand of standing figure

You can listen to this news online:

 <http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=372422406> Subscribe in iTunes

.         Join at the usual $10 annual dues level for one year. Your renewal

.         If you can't afford the dues, request a sponsored membership for

You may listen in audio to the E-Letter at www.handiham.org

ARRL Diamond logo