[haikuware-tya] Re: golf shirt...

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haikuware-tya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:16:27 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>> Hmmm... I'm just wondering, perhaps a nicer (possibly cheaper) prize
>> for the TYA would be:
>>
>> http://www.cafepress.com/haiku_os.295451384

Generally, I think it's a very good idea:

- $50 doesn't make a huge difference in the life of the winner. Plus,
cash isn't fun.
- The shirt is a souvenir for the TYA when the money would be gone for
years.
- It's Haiku PR wherever it's worn.
- A (small) part of the spent money flows back to Haiku.
- It's less of a strain on the scarce TYA funds.

However: There's no connection between the shirt and the TYA. It's like
any Haiku shirt anyone can order. I see two possible solutions to this:

1) With Haiku Inc.'s permission, have original Haiku shirts with an
added "TYA-Winner" emblem put somewhere. (Can you have a cafepress-shop
that is closed to the general public, so not anyone can order a
TYA-shirt?)

2) Send a "TYA-Winner" button separately in addition to the Haiku shirt
from cafepress. Not that classy, but more flexible: you (and later the
winner) can combine the button with any shirt.

In any case, we need to get a fantastic TYA-Logo designed for the added
winner emblem or the button. The logo should of course also be on the
TYA website.

Now, who can design a nice logo? Maybe we'll find someone on the mailing
lists.

>> Although, that would involve shipping, etc.
>>
>> But, perhaps if someone from Europe wins the TYA, I could transfer
>> funds to someone on the list here that lives in Europe, and they
>> could ship the item...

As Dennis said, I think you can enter any shipping address with
cafepress. Anything else would probably only increase costs.

If we go with an additional button, I can easily order a dozen buttons
to ship to European TYA winners. Maybe also put some other stuff in it
(stickers, badges, posters... cookies).

Maybe, if we ship something separately anyway, we could also come up
with a visually pleasing TYA-certifikate the winner can proudly put up
on his wall.  :)

Regards,
Humdinger

--