[openbeos] Re: using jam -- where's Jambase?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:46:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, John M. Gabriele wrote:

> I just now downloaded the newest jam-2.4-beos.zip (last updated
> August 7th, 2002) from bebits: http://www.bebits.com/app/2981
> and this zipped file contains all the source, including the Jambase
> file.
>
> There's no rule like "AddResources" in either this Jambase file or in
> the reference one at http://public.perforce.com/public/jam/src/Jambase

Of course there isn't, for it is BeOS specific. And the version on BeBits
is basically a straight build with only minor changes in order to make the
variable settings for BeOS reasonable (and make it work on PPC at all).

> If I get good enough at this to send ELQ an update (she put jam up on
> bebits) I'll post here about it. :)

Huh? What are planning to do? At least the OBOS build team (and others)
agreed, that we want to go with the vanilla Jam version from Perforce
rather than requiring our own special one. And I doubt that you can
convince the Perforce people to incorporate those changes into their
version. Please remember, that we are talking about a cross-platform build
tool.

However, as written in my previous mail, the rules needed can be found in
current/Jamrules. You can just include them in your project's Jamrules
file. Or modify Jambase accoringly and compile your own executable, or use
jam's `-f' option to read your Jambase with the unmodified executable
(create an alias and you don't even need to type more).

CU, Ingo