[haiku] Re: "two finger scrolling"?

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:40:45 +0200

2012.11.11 00:13, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:54:21AM +0200, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>>> One thing that has just started working with the latest builds is
>>> the trackpad on my laptop.  (It was completely erratic before -- freezing
>>> randomly, unlike the perfectly good USB mouse.)  So I'm actually using
>>> it now.  One feature has me baffled, though: what is "two-finger
>>> scrolling"?
>> Newer touchpads allow you to scroll using two fingers instead of using
>> dedicated scrolling areas at the right and the bottom. See this image:
>> http://tinyurl.com/ahaeg46 (there are also more gestures, see
>> http://tinyurl.com/a5cl8j2 ). At least for me, that way of scrolling
>> looks really superior, and I got used to it within hours after unpacking
>> and installing my new lappy a few months back. Now it actually feels
>> somewhat uncomfortable when I'm using my older laptop or my gf's one,
>> where it doesn't work. :)
> Ah, thanks.  Makes sense, now.
>
> Unfortunately -- despite this being a brand-new laptop -- it doesn't
> seem to work properly here.  My second finger sort of causes scrolling,
> but the window always returns to its original state when I lift the finger.
> The 'tap' feature also seems to be a bit erratic still, so maybe there's
> still some incompatibility.

I haven't tried Haiku on my new laptop, so I can't say if same happens
to me. But on my older laptop, scrolling (or actually anything related
to the touchpad) sometimes misbehaves when the touchpad becomes a bit warm.

By the way, the first picture I showed looks slightly wrong to me. At
least for me, scrolling works when there is at least a small gap between
fingers.

> Oh well.  I still tend to prefer the (wireless) mouse with its scroll-wheel
> anyway.

:) I have one too, in my backpack. Although surprisingly for me, I
didn't end up using it every time, but rather rarely...

Rimas