[openbeos] Re: read this article...

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:46:18 -0500

I'm with Erik. I think that Nathan was just a *bit* unfair, in that I have
stated, publically,
about 200 bazillion times (and now I will repeat myself) that what he professes
our
goal to be is our *SHORT TERM* goal. We want a starting point, for the future.
I really don't think that there is a person here who is afraid of rewriting
something.
Linus rewrote the USB stuff for Linux, what, 3 times? That is *FAR* more my
experience with engineers - never being happy with what they wrote. I know that
I am that way. The first time I got screen_saver to blank the screen, I sat
back, smiled
for a minute, then looked at the code and said - UGH - that has to be improved.

Interestingly enough, though, I *THINK* (and I could be wrong) that the C ABI
for GCC
has *not* changed. Only the C++. That would mean that we could build the kernel
with GCC3 and not break any compatability. I know that Travis is using it now,
so
it wouldn't be a porting issue. Since the kernel is where preformance is the
most
important, we could get some experience and practice with GCC3 and still
keep our goal of bin compatability.

Furthermore, I think that Nathan misses some points.
Productive is a good point. I think that most of us own it and use it.
How about a browser? Net+ and Opera may be aging, but they are sure better than
nothing.
There are a hundred cases like this.

I agree with Nathan's desire to improve the API and to move the OS forward.
I disagree with his timing.