[openbeos] Re: read this article...

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 15:17:22 -0800

At the risk of sound snippy, we've been over this several times and have
elected, for pragmatic reasons, to do our best to maintain binary
compatibility for the first release -- which rules out GCC3.x for the
time being.  This does *not*, however, rule out moving to it at a later
date -- or even providing a parallel set of libraries which have been
built with GCC3.x (just a "for instance"; no flames, please).  Folks
keep insisting on thinking we've maneuvered ourselves into a dead-end by
striving for binary compatability at this time, and that just isn't the
case!  I respect Nathan's perspective (as well as his ability), but
aside from whether or not we successfully achieve binary compatibility,
this is a total non-issue.