[haiku] Re: ported freebsd ethernet controllers

  • From: "Richie Nyhus" <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:48:19 +1300

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Schrijvers Luc wrote:
>>

>>>         /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net
>>>         Users should NOT be messing with anything in /boot/beos
>>>         For these you should create folder called
>>>         /boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin
>>>         and
>>>         /boot/common/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/net
>>
>> Does Haiku's disable user-addons in the bootmenu also overide
>> the /boot/common folders? If not ... it would be better to install them
>> to the /boot/home/config/* folders.
>
> If it is in fact not possible to boot without add-ons from common then
> *that* is what needs to be fixed. I don't know if two levels of
> fail-safe is desirable - without user add-ons and without common
> addon-ons. In the future, it will probably not make sense to install
> system components in home at all because of multi-user, but that's
> post R1.
>
> Truls

Even if someone is at "power user" level, that does not at all mean that
they are in fact immune from stuffing up. If add-ons from common, were
always able to be loaded while booting haiku, carelessness from a
"superuser" could make Haiku unbootable !

I think, add-ons installed by both users(boot/home/config/add-ons)
and those with "poweruser"(boot/common/add-ons) privileges, should
be able to be disabled while booting. Only "root" [or should I say baron]
(boot/beos/system/add-ons/) should be loaded in in bootmenu's "don't
load user add-ons" safe mode.

----
[off topic]
I think it would be funny if a user was a serf, poweruser was baron
and root was Viscount.
[/off topic]