[openbeos] Re: our own language -- sure

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:44:29 +0100 (MET)

> The only way AFAIK to get a real functional version of Java working
> on
> OpenBeOS at this point would be through Linux emulation.  I am not
> sure how
> FreeBSD does it, but it gives a solid foundation for running java 2
> on BSD.
> I don't think that Sun or IBM will be porting their JVM over anytime
> soon.
> We have Kaffe, but it is hard to do anything too useful with it and
> the
> performance is less than flattering.
>
> At this point, Java is going to probably be a pipe dream unless
> something
> really exciting happens with Kaffe, which I doubt will.

I don't know if you aware of it, but the Java sources are publicly
available.
To access it, you have to register at their web site.

FreeBSD has a native port, so has Linux.

A BeOS port has begun by Clay Atkins, but I really don't know what's
the status of this project - it's very quiet on its ML; but Clay writes
a mail every 6 month or so, stating he is still working on it.
But I doubt there is much happening.

Adios...
   Axel.