[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V6 #137

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:41:33 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> I am, however, eager to help new people find out about the project,
> and steer them in the right directions.  I spend a lot of time
> posting
> in the forums and try to point people in the right directions
> whenever
> possible.
>
> I also understand the need for marketing - and have tried to
> encourage
> Haiku awareness whenever possible.
>
> There does seem to be a larger focus on the code (which obviously is
> the most important part of Haiku) - but it doesn't feel that there is
> much attention to some other areas of the project/community that may
> need it.  It seems like there is a needless separation of the
> potential Haiku contributors from the current Haiku contributors more
> and more.  Maybe this is desired by some, but it doesn't seem like a
> good strategy in the long run.

To put it bluntly: I don't think there are any developer resources left
in the existing BeOS community that we didn't assimilate already. If we
wanted to attract developers outside the existing community, we'd need
publicity - and that can only be achieved with some form of an alpha
release, screenshots on our site, etc.; OSNews coverage is probably
also a good thing, especially if screenshots are involved :-)

Of course, someone like you helping out new people is what we need,
too. But since you're already doing a good job at it, where is your
problem? Problems of that kind can only be solved by someone (in this
case you) stepping in. Since you do that, you're already helping us out
in that area.

> In any case - my lack of useful coding ability leaves me feeling
> somewhat worthless for the Haiku project.  I desire to contribute the
> small amount of free time that I have to the project - but I feel
> like
> I have no outlet for my energy other than the forums and occasional
> wiki contribution at this point.

As we all agree on the fact that most developers don't have time for
that, that's the perfect thing to do for you, anyway. Why would you
feel worthless then? Since I usually don't look into the forums, I
don't even notice it. Nevertheless, I appreciate any help.
I only notice it when someone asks a question on this list (or
sometimes IRC), and before I find the time to answer it, someone else
steps in, giving the perfect help. And I'm very glad about that - it
shows that there are already people that care enough about Haiku to
help out, even though we haven't produced any release yet, only have
sparse documentation and so on.
And we need them, now, and we'll need them even more when we have
something we like to show to others as well (a.k.a. first alpha
release).

Since networking and USB are getting better on a daily basis, there are
mostly some stability and probably hardware compatibility issues we'll
have to sort out before that.

Bye,
   Axel.