[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V6 #137

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:15:12 -0700

From: "Haiku Security" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [openbeos] Re: The importance of good communications
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:10:06 -0400

I agree with Koki 100%.

There are a number of times I have wanted to contribute, however, there is
absolutely no leadership when it comes to the portions of the project that
are not code-oriented.

In the last month there has been no clear message as to:

which haiku logo is the official logo
what web cms are we going to use for the site. (it was so-called decided on
drupal, now its plone? Who is in charge?)
who is in charge of the web team?
who is in charge of the creative team?
who is in charge of marketing communications?
who is in charge of business communications?

These may not seem like a big deal to the coders, however, the public/users
are what matter.  If the public sees the project as a go-nowhere chaos
engine, then the public is going to stop caring.  If the public doesn't
care, then who is going to do work on the project?

Communications and marketing are what is going to get you new devs and
contributors.   A well designed platform for communications is what Haiku
has needed for a LONG time.  You  AREN'T GOING to get R1 if no new talent
comes on board!

We need to get/keep people excited.  We need to give incentive to
contribute.  I've already been turned off a number of times due to the lack
of leadership in a number of aspects in the project--this is exactly what
you do not want.  Especially from people who have a lot of drive and a lot
of spare time.

Unified authoritative messages are desperately needed.  It doesn't matter
how you COME UP WITH THE MESSAGE!  Thru collaboration or whatever.  It just
matters that it be consistent, and come thru a clear chain of command, and
be separate from public debate until the message is actually formed!

I think you should take up Koki's offer of Marketing Communications
director, and I would be happy to help him do the job.

Disclaimer: I'm not much of a contributor so my opinions don't hold much weight in the grand scheme of things.

I also agree with Koki to some extent.  Being a long time follower of
OpenBeOS/Haiku nearly since inception - I have often yearned for ways
to help.  I am not much of a C/C++ coder, and I'm not very familiar
with the BeAPI (mostly C# and .NET) - but have been trying to learn
and browse the code in my spare so that I could contribute in the
future.

I am, however, eager to help new people find out about the project,
and steer them in the right directions.  I spend a lot of time posting
in the forums and try to point people in the right directions whenever
possible.

I also understand the need for marketing - and have tried to encourage
Haiku awareness whenever possible.

There does seem to be a larger focus on the code (which obviously is
the most important part of Haiku) - but it doesn't feel that there is
much attention to some other areas of the project/community that may
need it.  It seems like there is a needless separation of the
potential Haiku contributors from the current Haiku contributors more
and more.  Maybe this is desired by some, but it doesn't seem like a
good strategy in the long run.

In any case - my lack of useful coding ability leaves me feeling
somewhat worthless for the Haiku project.  I desire to contribute the
small amount of free time that I have to the project - but I feel like
I have no outlet for my energy other than the forums and occasional
wiki contribution at this point.

</rant>

- Urias