[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V3 #121

  • From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:17:50 +0200

In any case, you have just put a hammer in the hand of an infant.

I like to have a hammer. :)

Remember - our goal is not to be Unix. There doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) a dozen different ways to do the same thing. Nor is choice always good. That is one of the reasons that Linux is so unfriendly on the desktop. There are too many ways to do the same thing and none of them are simple enough.

Does "doing it better" have to mean, storing things in a not human-readable format ? I think not. When you ever want to use OBOS for small server tasks, having things editable by hand might just come in handy when you need to do some remote configuration changes. If you have a decent format, say a human-readable dump of a BMessage, this would be quite a lot nicer in that case. And should not be a burden in any other case.

Eike.