[openbeos] Re: kernel mime_table module

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:06:09 -0800

Hello all,

I am also a bit concerned about a large folder
performance.  BFS conveniently caches the type
after a file has gone through the somewhat
expensive sniff/identify process.

For FAT32 I wonder if we could use a file in the
directory as a cache.  If we used one of those
magic names like "Desktop.ini" it wouldn't show up
when browsing from the OtherOS.  It would use some
space on the other file system and this option is
not available for read-only media.

In fact, Joliet CDs are a real nuisance for
determining types because the access time is
quite slow as well.  They are just about the
worst performing case for this task.

Andrew