[openbeos] Re: cross building

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:08:24 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Leon Timmermans wrote:

> >From which OS's, other than BeOS can we build?
> Linux? *BSD?
>
> Are modifications to gcc/ld required for that?
> Has anyone tried to build from Windows?
> DJGPP can make ELF I'm told, but I never tried this.

None is officially supported. We used to be able to build the kernel under
Linux. And I remember someone mentioning, that he built it under Windows
after adjusting Jam. But that was quite a time ago, and since then noone
cared to keep it building under other OSs, AFAIK.

Anyway, that's just the kernel. The other parts (save the /bin commands
maybe) are relatively unlikely to build somewhere else. Meanwhile we have
the complete set of header files in the repository, but most parts link
against libraries not present on other system; as libbe.so obviously. ;-)

CU, Ingo