[openbeos] Re: creative design

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:37:48 -0400

>what the creative design team is doing ??!

More than anything else, they are helping with the new name.

The biggest problem is that naming is *hard*.

Here is the problem - we want a name that meets a number of criteria:

1) Doesn't have Be screaming out of it. BeGood, BeForever, that sort of thing.
Among other reasons, the legality isn't a whole lot better than OpenBeOS.
2) Isn't too geeky
I/we would like to have at least a semi-professional demeanor. That is sort of
requirement to have companies spend money on developing for your systme.
3) Isn't already used. Many good names were submitted that are equally legal
nightmares. One that strikes me is Shinobi. I like the name a lot. But Sega
would
probably object. Sound alikes are also problems with this.
4) Has a positive or neutral image in common languages. Some one submitted
"nova", for example. In Spanish, that could be read as "Doesn't go".
5) Has some decent reason to be our name. Associations with speed, quality,
ease,
or something that is BeOS like. Something that "feels" like the OS. Otherwise,
you may
as well name it Walter or something. <Ducking>

Anyway, folks, that is the scoop. That is why we don't have a name today.
We (the admin group) have a few names that some of us like and some of us hate.
Every name has a polarizing effect, so far. Nothing has really jumped out at us.
The community will certainly have input. I haven't forgotten that. But we don't
even have
a list of solid candidates. Oh, and, of course, some of the names aren't
available as URLs.
Typical. Even more frustrating, some of them have been taken by people who have
no
real site there. Grrr.