[haiku] Re: building error

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:08:05 +0100

Urias McCullough wrote:

First: you should not have to use sudo to build Haiku - it's
unnecessary. Once you've used sudo though, much of the files in
generated will be owned by root, and you'll get errors when not using
sudo.

Actually, the following page on the website instructs people to run jam once as a normal user, so that the files built belong to that user, and then a second time using sudo, so that you have permission to write to a partition.

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/installing_haiku_to_a_partition_from_linux

Like the user with the problem, this is what I've been doing to build Haiku and install it to a partition. Unlike that user, I haven't run into a problem. (Although it has been two or three weeks since I've gone through the process.) Is this method no longer preferred? If so, how can one go about installing Haiku to a partition without using sudo?

By the way, I'm also still using UserBuildConfig rather than a profile, and as I mentioned, I haven't had any problems.