[openbeos] Re: bootloader?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:53:46 +0100

On 2006-02-14 at 16:16:00 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Are the BeOS boot loader (which you get from makebootable) and the Haiku
> boot
> loader still interchangable? I thought we have our own boot sector now?

In theory they should work in either combination, but I had problems with the
BeOS boot loader and a volume initialized by our BFS code.

Also note, that our makebootable doesn't really work on mounted partitions.
Well, it writes the boot code to the partition, but when the volume is
unmounted, BFS writes back the superblock and thus overwrites the boot block
with the previous version. I suppose Be's makebootable uses some private BFS
ioctl(). On an unmounted partition our makebootable works fine, though.

CU, Ingo