[haiku] Re: Windows 7

  • From: Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 08:31:41 +0200

Ryan Leavengood ha scritto:
One of my favorite comments is the one about a big solution (60
projects, 35 MB in source code, oh no) that had some 30K line files
that caused Visual Studio (not sure which version) to run unbearably
slow (typing and moving the cursor took seconds) on a Quad-Core Q9550
with 4GB RAM! That is just unbelievably insane. Direct link to
comment:
It happens to my collegue with a C# solution with less than 60 projects :)
It's Visual Studio 2005 if you are interested.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/archive/2009/05/31/visual-studio-2010-performance-part-1-startup.aspx#9690377

The last comments were also very amusing about accidentally hitting F1
and waiting minutes for the help to load WHILE THE APPLICATION WAS
LOCKED UP WAITING. Have they not heard of threads?
This just happened to me with Visual Studio 2008 Express, in the preferences dialog when clicked the Help tree item. I could not do anything else, it was a good excuse to watch a Simpson episode :)
The guy who runs that blog does not seem stupid and I am sure plenty
of people at Microsoft care about performance, but overall it does NOT
seem like something that matters to them. In my opinion nothing short
of encoding HD video or running some crazy high resolution game should
impact a Quad Core.
I do really like Windows Vista, and I bought an OEM license when the SP1 came out. The recent updates make it work better, you still need to disable Windows Search if you want decent performance, and DX9/DX10 games run better on 7 but with all the power you get with a dual core it runs very well (still sloooooow compared to Haiku).

Windows 7 seems faster, but recording with a Firewire audio mixer is still a dream, I hear some glitches. Nothing compared to Vista hdd recording. I hope a multi track record for Haiku will come out, I think it can be a good alternative to Windows once we get the hardware support :)