[haiku] Re: Windows 7

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 06:39:18 +1000

2009/6/7 Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> David McPaul wrote:
>>
>> I mostly find windows too political.
>>
>> When there is code written to check that I am using my computer only
>> in microsoft approved ways then you know they no longer have the
>> consumers interest in mind.
>
> Within hours of the release of XP, someone in China had hacked it and
> release an unlicensed version. That code is an attempt to verify that
> consumers have purchased a legitimate copy. Microsoft is a business, and
> they want to make money.

No, I am talking about the securepath audio/video stuff.  It turns off
hardware at it's discretion not mine.

> Google is also a business. That is why they signed a deal with the Chinese
> government to turn over information on users of their services in China,
> information that could potentially lead to the arrest of those people. That
> worries me a lot more than Microsoft's anti-piracy code. "Don't be evil."
> Unless, of course, being evil turns profit.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I like what Google does for free software; I even
> applied to be part of the Summer of Code. But the deal with China was a
> hypocritical action, and they did it to make money. (It wasn't just Google,
> either. All the big search engines did it.)

Microsoft also acts illegally to protect their market share.

Google makes mistakes but I don;t see them as deliberately out to
destroy competition.  Microsoft has always had the attitude of do
anything to win.

--
Cheers
David