[openbeos] Re: What can we non-programmer do?

  • From: philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 10:56:10 +0200 (MEST)

"Deej" wrote:
> Along these lines, search out the specs and source code for
> drivers you'd like to see.  Gather as much info together as you
> can (emailing hardware manufacturers for info if they'll give
> it), and then ask a driver dev to give it a go.

Yes, this first phase of any project can be really painfull, and
can consume all coder motivation at same time it consume... time.

Some good starting points I use to search for documentation,
inspiration or help:

- Google ;-)
- Former Be Inc. www.be.com and ftp.be.com mirrors
- Linux & *BSD sites: code source, mailings-lists
- SourceForge & Freshmeat, looking at any similar project you can
learn from
- BeDevTalk, BeCodeTalk & BeUserTalk web archives, for any
already known BeOS coding issue, solution, link, etc
- Former BeBugs database even

For some project, gathering specs, documentation, inspiration,
sample codes or whatever could help *start* the coding take MORE time
than the coding itself...

-Philippe.
else