[openbeos] Welcome Package [was Re: linuxformat mag: 30 days with Haiku]

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:23:40 +0200

Hi,

Humdinger wrote:
> scott mc wrote:
> > Perhaps we need that welcome package after all?
>
> I've been working on this a bit. Originally, I wanted to wait for anyone
> to have a look at it until it's more fleshed out. But before three others
> start their own efforts...
>
> Not being a developer, I concentrated on the user part, converting the
> stuff from the Haikuware wiki stuff (http://www.haikuware.com/hikis/)
> into simple HTML. I maybe have to look over the result to clean it up a
> bit...
> I also started with some new docs, that will eventually find their way
> into the wiki.
>
> Have a look at it: http://www.webfile.ws/d/2005 (~480kb). I guess the
> material should be local on the HD of the user, since his networking
> might not work right away.
> Is this the right direction for a welcome package? I mean... I could be
> totally off in content and appearance...
>
> I could use some help, of course, esp. with the developer related stuff
> (what documents should be linked to online, should some documents be
> converted to static HTML and stored locally?).

This is _very_ neat. The level of detail provided feels perfect to me.
There are a few improvements I see, like making it more "navigatable", a
few corrections here and there, but really, this is great.

Now, I would propose to put this into the repository and continue to work
on it there. It would also be great if we had a way to actually generate
this from another format. I am not familiar with this yet, but people like
Niels and DarkWyrm are and I am sure we can see how it's done from the
existing documentation.

What do other think about this approach? We could also give Humdinger SVN
access to continue working on this in the repo. It feels much more sane
than any manual form of collaboration.

Best regards,
-Stephan