[openbeos] WalterCon Orlando 2006 Venue & Program

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:23:34 -0700

Hello,

We finally made a decision on the venue for WalterCon Orlando 2006. "What took you so long?" many of you may ask, and rightfully so. The truth is that response to our first call for WalterCon was much lower than expected, and we were trying to figure out why and what we could do to improve this situation.

Haiku development has made great progress in the last 12 months, and there is a lot that we expect to be able to show at WalterCon. We now realize that this alone is not compelling enough to attract people to our annual conference, and it has also become obvious that we did a poor job in articulating the specifics of what people can expect from attending WalterCon.

In an attempt to make WalterCon more attractive, we have come up with a program, as well as a few little surprises. The WalterCon program includes, among other things, talks by Michael Phipps, a technical presentation by Jonathan Thompson, and a web presentation by Axel Dörfler. Furthermore, the new Haiku Icon Set will be announced, and we will have a drawing with nice prizes from our generous sponsors. There will also be free time for attendees to code, show off their desktops, discuss development or Haiku in general, or simply socialize.

In order to articulate the value of WalterCon better and in a more timely manner, we have also created a new website dedicated to WalterCon (URL shown below).

As you can see, we are trying to do our part. Now it is time for you to do yours. WalterCon is more than just a great opportunity to meet the community face to face, and to discuss development, or the future direction of Haiku. Attending WalterCon is your chance to support Haiku in a different way. Come to Orlando, help us make WalterCon bigger and better, and have some fun with us. We'll make sure you don't regret it.

So, point your browser to http://waltercon.haiku-os.org, and find out all the details. We look forward to seeing many of you in Orlando.

Jorge Mare (a.k.a. Koki)
koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx