[openbeos] Re: Video Codec Support?

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:12:47 +0200

Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'm very excited to hear about the great progress
>on the Network and BFS fronts.  What worries
>me a bit is the Video Codec front.  For example:
>Be's PhotoJPEG format was the best codec on
>BeOS.  However, when I try to play those movies
Yes, but is is out of date already. And it creates very
large files, compared to divx or mpeg

>0. Why is that Be's PhotoJPEG format is so good,
>yet no one else appears to use it?  Is it because
Because others are better

>1. Will OpenBeOS work include rewriting the codecs
>or will it rely on binary compatibility?
No, we can't rely on compatibility with existing codecs,
since many of them are broken, or have shortcomings,
and since the interface to them remains undocumented.
So we will need to use other open source codecs, and
rewrite some.

>2. Moving forward, if a PhotoJPEG implementation
>is made with a BSD licence, it would simplify the
>work on a GPL'ed version. How does the OpenBeOS
>team feel about people making GPL'ed forks of their
>BSD code?
I think that the BSD/MIT license allows to use our code for
whatever result, so it would be allowed. And we can't do
anything about it. But I don't see a real problem there.

>3. Has anyone thought about VC3 (?), the newly
>GPL'ed video format?
I don't know this one, but if it is GPL, and does not allow
to be used with Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and
anything else that is not GPL, we won't be able to use
it. So it would remain GPL Linux or HURD only.
URL?

>4. Will OpenBeOS support Ogg Vorbis and Ogg
>Tarkin (VC3 based???)?
Ogg Vorbis: Yes
Ogg Tarkin: never head of this. URL?

>That's all for now.