[openbeos] Re: UTF-8 and character case

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:41:36 -0400 EDT

Allen Brunson wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:08:35 -0500:
> Does anybody here know how to do the following on BeOS:
>
> A) determine if a (possibly multi-byte) UTF-8 character is lower or
> uppercase.
>
> B) Once the above determination is made, change it from lowercase to
> uppercase, or vice versa.
>
> Maybe there's some bit-pattern determination you can make, like the way you
> can recognize how many bytes in a UTF-8 string go together to form a single
> character, but if so I've never heard of it.

Doesn't seem to be possible in general, some languages have cases but changing
the case changes the meaning: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/unicode/message/5687

If you're still determined, and want a mini-course in the history of language,
here's the document you need:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr21/

- Alex