[openbeos] USB and PPC port.... I'm here to help... when I can...

  • From: Bryan Varner <Bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 01:13:12 -0500

First off, I've got about 3 major projects I'm closing down right now. It'll
be another few weeks before I can devote any time at all to OBOS. (which is
one reason I haven't signed up, or posted anything until now) I'd like to
prolong officially joining the team until I can be sure I have the time to
contribute. I don't want to be one of the people who's name gets yanked and
then mentioned on the Current News page. :-)

About a month ago I posted to BeDevTalk about OHCI USB drivers for BeOS R5...
they simply don't exist. Stinker. After 'upgrading' to a USB keyboard/mouse
and accompanying KVM, I've been unable to use BeOS for much of anything since
then. It's killing me. Since then, I've been finishing off my projects with
Mac OS X. Although it is a viable alternative, let's face it, it's just not
the same. Any of you who have used OS X, you know what I mean.

There's one thing I'm willing to help on. USB drivers for the NewOS kernel.
Has anyone started? Has anyone looked in depth at this? Is there anyone out
there who could point me to the appropriate reading material until I can
finish out the other code projects I'm working on?

Another thing. Some months ago, Nathan Whitehorn and I were attempting to boot
BeOS R5 on PPC machines through OpenFirmware. Unless Nathan has worked some
miracles since the last time we talked on BeShare, it just isn't going to work
with the knowledge we have of the BeOS Launcher for MacOS.

So... what's the big deal here? I've worked in some detail with Fourth
(FCode). I'm more than willing to push myself and expand what I can do in
FCode for the sake of loading/booting a NewOS/OBOS kernel on a PPC Mac
machine. I have at my disposal a 7600 with a G3-400 (Hey Nathan, I got the
upgrade!!!), as well as a Beige G3-266 and possibly a G4 laptop. So here are
my questions on this topic. Who is in charge of PPC porting? Have they worked
out a loading/booting scheme? Does it involve a 'host' OS? Have they throughly
investigated the advantages of using OF (OpenFirmware) to boot the OS - what
about the disadvantages (they do exist)?

I also have a few general questions about both areas (USB and PPC).
How far along is the planning/development?
What area (team) do these fall under?
In three or four weeks, do you see the need for a somewhat expirenced (what I
lack in expirence I make up for in enthusiasim and caffeine!!) programmer to
help out?

I am a full-time student, have no job, and have _tons_ of free time when I'm
not working on a 'contract' project. I dearly miss my BeOS (dang OHCI) and
would really like to help out on OBOS while it's still on the 'ground floor'.

Sorry for the long post.

-Bryan Varner
a.k.a. Bman of BeShare

In-san-i-ty n., pl. In-san-i-ties. -- Persistant
mental disorder or derangement.
http://bmanv.no-ip.com        -- The looney bin
bman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     -- The keeper of the bin