[openbeos] Today's Update

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:58:14 -0400

Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen!

The Palm thing seems to be taking longer than I had hoped. I am glad we decided
not to wait for that to conclude.

New Users! We are at 80 or so people on this list! Outstanding! If everyone
contributes, we will get this done so quickly!

The big news is: we have assignments!!! Check out the website
(open-beos.sourceforge.net).
If you don't like yours, feel free to let me know. If you don't have one, what
are you waiting for? Mail me! :-)
If I have missed anyone, sorry. There has been a lot going on here.

So, where do we go from here?
There are private mailing lists being set up on sourceforge for the groups with
> 2 people. 2 people can email each other. Three or more and I will make you a
private mailing list. :-) The kernel and networking mailing lists are in
process (it takes SF 6-24 hours).

Team lead decisions were difficult and somewhat arbitrary. If there is
unhapiness in any way, please let me know.

How to begin:

At the risk of being the over bearing dictator, I have given some thought on
how I would begin. My first step would be to set up some tests. Just a few to
start with. And they will, of course fail. Maybe something like:
test 1 - connect to a server
test 2 - send a "ping" message to a server
test 3 - construct a server
test 4 - answer the ping
test 5 - shut down the server.

I am a big proponent of test-first coding. Try it - you might like it. :-)
Then I would implement a few pieces. Obviously, I would name my server
something other than what I was developing. Maybe print_server_dev or something.

And I would add functionality as time goes on.

Now - for we kernel people, we have a different issue, since we are starting
with a code base (NewOS). But I will adress that within the group.

Web group - my mad html skillz are not all that they are cracked up to be. :-)
Please, save us all from any nasty pages that I might make. :-) I promise that
I am a better code writer than page designer. :-)

Thanks, all!

Keep up the great work!