[openbeos] Re: Suggestion for the team status page

  • From: "Matt McMinn" <melfinadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 21:16:10 GMT

I'm not sure if this would work for us, but here's what I just
implemented for my little team at work.

We've each got an XML file on our machine that looks something like
this:

<root>
  <task percentDone="50">
     <description>task #1 info</description>
     <issues>any issues that need to be resolved</issues>
  </task>
  <task percentDone="80">
    <description>task #2 info</description>
     <issues>any issues that need to be resolved</issues>
  </task>
  ...etc
</root>

Then I have a jsp page that simply calls the xalan/xerces parser/XSL
translator combo, whcih applies a stylesheet to all of our XML files,
and provides a nice little one page snapshot that's is as updated as
the XML files are.  We have a policy that we keep the XML files updated
to the day, so we can always get an almost current snapshot of where
our project is at.

This could be translated to the OBOS world by each project having an
XML file checked in to the repository (assuming the web server can
access files on the repository).  Then we can just build a page that
gathers all those XML files and displays them with a nifty XSL
stylesheet.  The important thing with that is we would all have to
agree on an XML format - it's also a little more work for a developer,
but I tend to keep a TODO list around anyway, so keeping it in a
different format isn't that huge of a deal.

Matt