[openbeos] Re: Suggestion for the team status page

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 17:56:23 CST

Thanks Axel, but I WILL NEVER do percentage bars for reporting the
project status. Percentage bars are a complete lie, frankly. Unless you
can sub-divide the work into at least 100 equal units and measure the
progress ( reasonably accurately) from one sub-division to the next,
then the percentage reported is bogus. Of course, this wouldn't alarm
anyone because bogus percentage bars are rampant in the software
industry.

I'll grant you that the status tags are not perfect (anything but). And
yes, they are vague. But guess what, so is the actual progress. Nothing
could be more vague than the status of currently progessing software.
How long will it take to complete a particular component? No one knows.
Even if it is 90% complete, how long will the remaining 10% take? Quite
often, the last "supposed" 10% takes longer than the initial 90%
reported. Frankly, *any* designation that we give for a current status
is a guess (hopefully an educated one).

Of course, if you have a suggestion for a better way, feel free to
propose it. If I can apply it to all the teams, then I will implement
it. But keep in mind, I will not impose pseudo-accuracy where it
doesn't exist merely to give people a "fuzzy" feeling about the
progress.