[openbeos] Re: Sort of self-hosting

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:33:45 +0200 CEST

"DarkWyrm" <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After a day of lots of news, I've got a little more for all of you...
> we are about *this* close to being able to develop for Haiku from
> within Haiku. It's possible to actually run BeIDE and compile
> programs
> assuming that you've copied over all the headers, libraries, and
> stuff.
> There are still issues with more regular apps compiling, but very
> basic
> ones (that just like against libbe) actually compile and run. There's
> even a screenshot in it for all of you. TTFN :^)

I could already compile Tracker and Deskbar around a year ago. BeIDE
also runs for quite some time - you could have had this experience
months ago, even if it probably gets better every day :-)
As Stefano already indicated: there are several bugs that prevent us
from really being self-hosting. There is also a missing feature in the
memory mapped files implementation that prevents this from working well
(you should not overwrite an application while it's running right now,
as the app might not be completely in memory yet).

Bye,
   Axel.