[haiku] Re: Reminder: HAIKU logo as your logo != B_OK

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 09:11:19 +0200

-- hudsonco1@xxxxxxx, on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:43:15 -0400:
> It's my understanding that a trademark symbol can be licensed for 3rd
> party
> use without the risk of losing the right of registration. I would
> like to
> suggest that instead of prohibiting the use of the Haiku logo that
> instead
> Haiku Inc licenses the logo for 3rd party use.
[...]
> I think it would be better to spread the Haiku logo instead of
> prohibiting it.

I don't think that would be wise. Remember, as long as you're not using
the logo as part of your site/company's logo, you're fine to use it.
You can use it when writing about Haiku in an article or use it as
category-logo with news or software sites and so on. So spreading the
Haiku logo isn't really prohibited.

When a site has the official Haiku logo, everyone expects it to be part
of the official Haiku project. With or without a little disclaimer
somewhere. There's a reason why you probably won't see a third party
website with e.g. a BMW propeller.

Offering alternative logos with a kind of Haiku theme is IMO a nice
compromise for people not able or who don't want to design a logo from
scratch and still have a Haiku connection.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de