[haiku] Re: Printer/printing status in Haiku?

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 07:03:12 +1200

On 31/05/2015 10:19 PM, "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx> wrote:

What is the status of printing, especially laser and ink-jet, in Haiku,
compared to Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD?

I have a printer, HP LaserJet Professional 1212nf MFP, that refuses to
set up in NetBSD and FreeBSD with hplip. All I have left is to see if it
will set up in NetBSD with wine, using the MS-Windows way (small chance,
but leave no stone unturned).

My question for this list is how Haiku compares in this general area with
Linux and BSD.

I don't think there is any wine build for Haiku (www.winehq.org).

Should I have sent this query to another list, like haiku-devel or one of
the lists dealing with haikuports and 3rd party, or is this the appropriate
place to start?

This is the correct list :) I have had success in the past using a generic
PCL5/6 driver with HP printers. We also use gutenprint for providing
printer drivers.

However, my experience has only been with network printers. This may differ
slightly with locally attached printers.