[openbeos] Re: Preferences install target

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:39:30 -0500

>> Eek. That sounds similar to what caused me so much grief. I mean -
>> the logical
>> extension of that might be to install servers to /boot/system...
>
>Good timing, eh? :-)

Yeah. :-)

>> Would it be acceptable to you to:
>> ln -s /boot/home/openbeos/build/bin/workspaces /boot/beos/preferences
>> Then you could do a normal build.
>
>Well, we could do this at first. But an install target is very handy in
>most cases...

This is all very dependent on how we want to distribute.
You are right, in that if we want to have most people build the source,
an install target is a good thing. I suspect that 99% of people will want
to get a binaries package and install it. If that is the case, I would think
that
not installing automagically over the builder's /boot area would be a
convenience for us.