[openbeos] Re: [Open-beos-cvs]CVS:current/src/prefs/datatranslationsDataTranslationsWindow.cpp,1.2,1.3

  • From: Aaron Kavlie <akavlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 02 Jul 2003 21:14:54 -0700

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 21:11, Jared Eldredge wrote:
> i remember frequent responses to this type of question. jean-louis'
> answer was always a derivative of this:
>
> we do not imply nor enforce any user interface guidlines - your
> applications are yours and you should know best how your users should
> see them.
>
> personally i think the Fearless Leader was right.  if user interface
> guidlines ARE created, they should only be done for small subsets of
> applications.  ie: the prefrences windows should all look similar.  it
> should be considered detrimental if userinterface guidlines are drafted
> as a broad and sweeping mandate
>
> now with my knee-jerk response done.... i think that example windows
> like BeAboutBox would be a good idea.  examples, but not really
> rules...seems UnBe to me - thats all
>
> -jared

It's hard to tell from your e-mail how much you agree or disagree with
the idea.  UI guidelines *are* "examples," really -- not rules in the
sense that they must be followed for a working application.  Consistency
is one of the biggest strengths of BeOS compared to *nix apps.  I think
a set of Gnome-like Human Interface guidelines would be a good idea.
There are obvious and verifiable strengths to a consistent UI, it's one
of the most basic of a multitude of principles that any good interface
must abide by.

-Aaron