[haiku] Re: Open sourcing SoundPlay?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:48:24 +0200

Hi,

Am 21.09.2012 12:07, schrieb Siarzhuk Zharski:
The problem with stock applications is that everybody looks on you and
have it's own meaning about your ideas and solutions. Starting, for
example, easy feature discussion can put you into the swamp of endless
e-mailings and explanations.

MediaPlayer already is a stock application. Not having one is no option either. And I don't see a great deal of feature requests that wouldn't fit well, or a lot of discussion and opposite opinions...

Frankly speaking, I do not understand "yet
another player" idea too, but, may be Gerasim has intention to make
something innovative that can be later "upstreamed". Let see. Anyway he
doesn't borrow time from the Media Player development because he doesn't
"sign" to do it.

Gerasim is free to do as he pleases, of course. But before it never occured to him he could actually add features to the Haiku Media Kit or MediaPlayer, I rather make that suggestion. Any help is certainly appreciated. It is sometimes hard to delve into an existing code base. But writing something from scratch also takes a lot of effort for it to reach a state where it becomes relevant. So extending something that already exists may have its appeal.

Best regards,
-Stephan