[haiku] Re: Open sourcing SoundPlay?

  • From: Kenneth <kervas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 07:46:36 -0600

On 9/8/2012 12:42 AM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
Has anyone ever asked Marco Nelissen if he would open source SoundPlay?

I ask because I saw a recent bug where SoundPlay's buttons don't
appear on recent Haiku revisions and it made me think such things
would be easier to fix if it was open source.

It is such a classic BeOS application and it would be a shame to see
it lost to history as Haiku moves forward.

If anyone has Marco's email please let me know privately.

Before contacting Marco about open sourcing SoundPlay, you should try contacting him first about fixing the bug. Only after several of those requests go unanswered, I would consider contacting him to open source the code.
I believe that is the courteous path to take.

Marco has given some of his software to open source before (Pe), but as far as I can tell, he still has SoundPlay for sale. I paid for SoundPlay not so long ago, and received my keyfile from him, so keep in mind he might still be willing to fix bugs.

Cheers,
- Kit