[openbeos] Re: Open BeOS Name

  • From: "Andre' F. Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 05:34:27 -0300

unlyrn wrote:

Aleph (means several things, from "infinite integration and
completeness" to "the very essence of life" )

Oooh, I like this one. A lot.

I didn't want to join this thread, but I have to say - this is the best suggestion I've heard yet.

Aleph is a mathematical construct representing different types of infinities - aleph null being the sum of all counting numbers, aleph
one is a 'higher infinity' if you will; I think this is quite cool in terms of the progression of the OS :)

Its also the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and I'm sure we
could make a very cool logo out of it..

Heh, thanks, thanks, BUT... Let's stay away from religious/ethnical issues here, shall we? Aleph is also the first letter in Arabic alphabet. Then again, Aleph, alpha, those are all derived from a common root which means "the beginning" or "the creation". So let's just stay out of it. I indeed first thought of the mathematical meaning of it, and then did some research to present it in a more appealing way =)

BTW, I just did a mockup logo, check it out:

(1.53kb) http://bbs.metalink.com.br/~midnight/aleph.png

The concept is simple and stylish, IMHO. I wanted to use Be's blue and red but ended up using R255 and B255. Background is RGB128. It's not really perfect but it's 5:30 AM and I gotta get some *serious* sleep =)

Tell me if you like it, and feel free to modify.

Cheers, meianoite