[openbeos] Re: [OT] Installing BeOS in vmware

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:42:38 -0200

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:42:35 +0200, Paolo Pisati <paolo.pisati@xxxxxx> wrote:
> So, in the end, it seems the problem lays somewhere between
> how vmware handle the cdrom image and normal beos boot code.
> IMHO it's a vmware issue, cause when you select
> to use an iso image as a normal cd drive the emulator should
> completely fake a real cd drive and let the os do whatever it
> wants with it.

I have never seen *any* emulator that correctly handles multitrack ISO
images. And guess what, that's the case of BeOS images (first track
being the El Torito floppy image emulation, second track being either
the main BFS track (Dano, PE) or the ISO9660 track with the PE
installer, source code for GNU tools, Mac OS springloaded boot utils
and whatnot (Pro), and the third, in case it exists, is the PowerPC
big endian BFS track).

So unless someone comes up with hard drive boot emulation for BFS
images, or the emulators are improved in this aspect, booting from El
Torito-style CD images ain't going to work for some time still.

There's always the possibility of booting from an existing BFS image
(like PE's one; more easily accessed from the Linux .tar.gz
distribution of the PE installer), attaching a secondary virtual IDE
drive, and then proceeding with installing Dano. Or even directly
copying the full contents of the CD and then running makebootable(sp?)
--- THE ONE FROM THE DANO IMAGE.

It's kinda convoluted, but it worked for me.

Cheers,
A.

--
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"
Alan J. Perlis